Couscous with Fried Shallots
- 2 cups uncooked Original Couscous
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 large shallots, peeled and sliced into rings
- vegetable oil, for frying
- salt, to taste
- Combine broth, olive oil, cumin, and pepper in medium saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Stir in couscous. Cover; remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
- While couscous is standing, heat about ½ inch vegetable oil in heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots in batches and fry, stirring occasionally, until golden brown (about 1-2 minutes).
- Remove with slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Season with salt. Fluff couscous.
- Serve topped with shallots.