New Quinoa Products
posted by RiceSelect on 8/05/2016
What is Quinoa?
Technically quinoa is not a grain but a gluten-free seed, although it is used in all the same ways as whole grains; a more accurate term for it is pseudograin or pseudocereal. It’s actually a member of the goosefoot family and is closely related to leafy green plants like beets, chard, and spinach. The leaves of quinoa can actually be eaten just like spinach. Cooked quinoa seeds are fluffy and creamy yet slightly crunchy. The flavor is delicate and somewhat nutty.
Quinoa is an ancient grain produced mainly in the Andes region of South America. Its consumption dates back to about 3000BC. Quinoa was referred to by the Incas as “the mother grain”. Quinoa is technically not a grain but a gluten-free seed; it’s used, however, in the same way as other whole grains. This versatile whole grain shines when it comes to convenience, it cooks in just 15 minutes. RiceSelect® Quinoa is available in White, Red and Tri-Color and is Non-GMO Project verified, Star-K kosher certified, gluten-free and is pre-washed, so it’s ready to cook.
Quinoa Nutrition & Other Benefits
- An excellent vegetarian source of complete protein, providing all 9 essential amino acids
- Good source of manganese, phosphorus, copper, magnesium, folate, fiber and zinc
- Contains nearly twice as much dietary fiber as other grains
- A good source of Riboflavin (B2)
- Considered a whole grain by the Whole Grain Council
- Non-GMO verified
- Star-K kosher certified
- Quick & easy to prepare
- Similar to couscous in texture
- An ideal substitute for any grain
Find more information on our new Quinoa products here: