- Melt butter in a large non-stick stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and onion; cook about 10 minutes, stirring periodically. Let mixture cool slightly.
- In food processor or blender, combine mushroom mixture, 1 ½ cups rice, cheese and 1 cup broth. Pulse mixture until mushrooms are finely chopped but not pureed and mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Return mixture to stockpot; stir in remaining rice, broth and water. Bring to a boil; cook uncovered over medium heat 5 minutes.
- Heat bacon slices between paper towels in microwave according to package directions. Chop bacon and set aside.
- Add salt and pepper to soup to taste. To serve, ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with bacon.
*Courtesy of USA Rice Federation.